Saturday 26 April 2014

Going Chrome

Greetings everyone!

So I guess this is a bit of a first! I am writing this post on my new Samsung Chrome Book, and while I am writing it, it will be my very first product review :)

So first off, I should probably iterate why I decided to purchase a Chrome book, besides pure curiosity.

I got the Chrome Book because most of the stuff I do these days is online and the majority of the time I am just checking Facebook and You Tube and I wanted a device that would give me a better web experience than a tablet or I-phone,  and I did not really need all the computing power of a full laptop.

The first thing I would like to say about this device is that it  is nice and small, weighing less than my iPad 2 and only a little bit bigger. It has a great wake up time from hibernate. Some hard core computer types will probably complain that there is a bit of a lag when loading netflix, but for what I need it for it works just fine.

I haven't really tried the camera yet, but I can already tell that you wont be taking great home videos with this thing.

My initial impression so far is that while it is not something that you would want as a primary computer, it's a nice secondary device for checking emails and working on Google documents.

Send me a message or leave me a comment if you want me to try something specific.

TiPSI Dad

3 comments:

  1. Hey Geoff, sounds like a fun adventure.

    A number of questions ... I how they make sense ;-)

    I wonder how much is your regular computer use can be done on the Chromebook, and with what new ways of working, say a quick photo editor?
    What things CAN'T you do on it, or are just harder to do, that make it a good "2nd" computer?
    How well does sharing work with other family members?
    How well does it work when you're disconnected?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mobile "typing" ...

      I *hope* they (my questions) make sense ...

      how much *of* your regular ...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the questions Sean!

    I uploaded about 350 image files to my Google drive from an SD card, took almost 10 minutes, during which time I was checking Facebook and watching some You Tube videos.

    I found a free Photo editor, Pic monkey http://www.picmonkey.com/ , which had some pretty good ratings and was pretty easy to use.

    I haven't tried yet, but I would assume sharing on the Chromebook works the same as if you were on a PC, ie, sharing through Google drive,

    I will try it out disconnected later this week, I know that you can work on your documents offline, and they will automatically sync once you establish a WiFi connection.

    The camera is pretty slow, I wont be making any you tube videos on this anytime soon, I will stick to the iPad or iPhone for that.

    I"ll keep you posted, let me know if you have any more questions :)

    ReplyDelete