Wednesday 6 February 2013

Arms wide open

One if the unexpected blessings about being a father has been understanding God's love for me in unexpected ways.

Like the time after coming home from facilitating a retreat, I went to the cupboard to fetch me a well deserved cookie.
As the cupboard door started to swing shut, I could hear this tiny voice from behind the door, "Papa, cookie!"

Busted.

Aileen was hiding just out of sight...and like any other two year old, wanted to partake in some delicious chocolate chip cookie consumption. Incidentally, she is now the official chocolate chip cookie maker in the house.

For the next 20 minutes she followed me around the house asking for a cookie!

She didn't cry, she didn't shout, all she did was follow me around the house with her arms up in the air saying, "papa, cookie!"

So finally in the end, like all good fathers do, I caved and I gave her a cookie. As I handed Aileen the cookie, all I could think about was Matthew 7:11: If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

It's funny how that lesson stayed with me all these years especially these days when I find myself looking up in the air with my arms wide open saying, "Father, give us this day our daily bread"

TiPSI Dad



No comments:

Post a Comment